The Manitoba Insect and Disease Update is now posted at: http://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/crops/seasonal-reports/insect-report-archive/insect-report-2016-06-22.html
Some highlights from the update:
- Cutworm and flea beetle levels and damage continues to decline.
- Alfalfa weevil is being noted at high levels in some alfalfa fields
- Barley thrips are quite noticeable in some barley fields in Eastern Manitoba.
- Low levels of English gain aphid and oat-birdcherry aphid are being found in some cereal fields.
- Pea aphid is showing up in some pea crops.
- Cereal rust diseases continue to develop and spread.
- Bacterial blight symptoms in winter wheat and oats were also reported.
- Root rot pathogens continue to cause problems in soybean fields.
Submitted by: John Gavloski, Entomologist & Pratisara Bajracharya, Field Crop Pathologist, Manitoba Agriculture