In 2014, there was approximately 2.17 million acres of commercial red spring wheat seeded in Manitoba, as reported by producers for AgriInsurance purposes (acres do not include pedigree or organic production).
The variety Carberry, at 35.1% of Manitoba’s commercial red spring wheat acreage, was the most popular variety grown in Manitoba in 2014. It was also the most popular variety in 2012. Carberry was first released to producers in 2012, when it held the number four spot at 12.3% of Manitoba red spring wheat acreage.
Harvest held the second spot in 2014 at 14.9%, moving up one spot from 2013. Harvest has consistently placed in the top 5 of most popular CWRS varieties in Manitoba over the past few years, showing its popularity with producers. Rounding out the top 5 are Glenn at 12.1%, Cardale at 9.1%, and WR859 CL at 4.3%. Cardale is new variety, available to producers for the first time for commercial production in 2014. Cardale is an awned semi-dwarf variety with strong straw, good yield potential, resistant (R) to both stem and leaf rust, and has a moderately resistant (MR) rating to fusarium head blight. It was developed by AAFC – CRC and is distributed by Seed Depot. The top five varieties were grown on 75.5% of red spring wheat acres in Manitoba.
Rounding out the top ten are the varieties CDC Stanley, AC Domain, Muchmore, KANE and CDC Go. The top 10 varieties together were grown on 90% of red spring wheat acres in Manitoba. The remaining 10% of acres were seeded to 49 other red spring wheat varieties, many of those newer varieties gaining in acres.
See attached figure illustrating the top red spring wheat varieties grown in Manitoba in 2014:
Top 10 CWRS Varieties Grown in Manitoba – 2014
Submitted by: Pam de Rocquigny, MAFRD Cereal Crops Specialist