Manitoba Agricultural Services Corporation (MASC) has released their 2015 Variety Market Share Information report. The complete report is available on the Manitoba Management Plus Program (MMPP), under the Regional Analysis Tools section, at http://www.mmpp.com/mmpp.nsf/mmpp_index.html.
A summary of the red spring wheat and winter wheat is provided:
Red Spring Wheat: In 2015, there was approximately 2.5 million acres of commercial red spring wheat seeded in Manitoba, as reported by producers for AgriInsurance purposes (acres do not include pedigree or organic production).
The variety Carberry, at 21.8% of Manitoba’s commercial red spring wheat acreage, was the most popular variety grown in Manitoba in 2015. It was also the most popular variety in 2014 (35.1%). Carberry was first released to producers in 2012.
Cardale is in the second spot in 2015 at 20.7%, moving up two spots from 2014 (9.1%). In third spot is Harvest at 13.4%. Harvest has consistently placed in the top 5 of most popular CWRS varieties in Manitoba over the past few years, showing its popularity with producers. However, Harvest is one of the 25 CWRS varieties being reclassified by the Canadian Grain Commission August 1, 2017.
Rounding out the top 5 include AAC Brandon at 10.4% and Glenn at 9.9%. AAC Brandon is new variety, available to producers for the first time for commercial production in 2015. AAC Brandon is an awned semi-dwarf variety with strong straw, good yield potential, resistant (R) to both stem and leaf rust, and has a moderately resistant (MR) rating to fusarium head blight and stripe rust. It was developed by AAFC – Swift Current and is distributed by SeCan. The top five varieties were grown on 76.2% of red spring wheat acres in Manitoba.
Rounding out the top ten are the varieties CDC Plentiful, WR859 CL, AC Domain, CDC Stanley and Muchmore. The top 10 varieties together were grown on 88.2% of red spring wheat acres in Manitoba. The remaining 11.8% of acres were seeded to 44 other red spring wheat varieties, many of those newer varieties gaining in acres.
Winter Wheat: There was approximately 159,000 acres of commercial winter wheat seeded in the fall of 2014 in Manitoba, as reported by producers for AgriInsurance purposes (acres do not include pedigree or organic production).
The variety Emerson, at 54.2% of Manitoba’s commercial winter wheat acreage, was the most popular variety grown in Manitoba in 2015. Emerson was first released to producers in the fall of 2014 and is the first winter wheat variety with a Resistant (R) rating to fusarium head blight.
CDC Falcon is in the second spot in 2015 at 20.7%, staying in the same position as 2014 (30.5%). In third spot is Flourish at 9.8%; in 2014 Flourish was the variety grown on the most acres in Manitoba (55.4%).
Rounding out the top 5 include CDC Buteo at 8.4% and Peregrine at 1.5%. The top five varieties were grown on 94.6% of winter wheat acres in Manitoba. The remaining 5.4% of acres were seeded to 8 other winter wheat varieties.
Submitted by: Pam de Rocquigny, Provincial Cereal Crops Specialist, MAFRD