Top Winter Wheat Varieties in Manitoba – 2016

In 2016, there was approximately 134,000 acres of commercial winter wheat seeded in the fall of 2015 in Manitoba, as reported by producers for AgriInsurance purposes (acres do not include pedigree or organic production). This is down slightly from the 159,000 acres of winter wheat seeded the previous fall of 2014.

The variety Emerson, at 64.7% of Manitoba’s commercial winter wheat acreage, was the most popular variety grown in Manitoba in 2016 (compared to 54.2% in 2015 when it also the most popular).  Emerson was first released to producers in the fall of 2014 and is the first winter wheat variety with a Resistant (R) rating to fusarium head blight.

CDC Falcon remains in the second spot in 2016 at 12.4%, down from 2015 (20.7%). In third spot is AAC Gateway at 10.1%, which is a newer variety developed by Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada – Lethbridge Research and Development Centre.  It is a shorter-statured variety, with good straw strength, good yield potential, and higher protein content. AAC Gateway belongs to the Canada Western Red Winter (CWRW) class.

Rounding out the top 5 include CDC Buteo at 5.5% and Flourish at 2.3%.  The top five varieties were grown on 95% of winter wheat acres in Manitoba. The remaining 5% of acres were seeded to 8 other winter wheat varieties.

Approximately 85% of commercial winter wheat acres were seeded to varieties belonging to the CWRW class, with the remaining acreage seeded to varieties of the new Canada Western Special Purpose (CWSP) class. The CWSP class is a new class created by the Canadian Grain Commission (CGC) as of August 1, 2016 (https://www.grainscanada.gc.ca/consultations/2015/classes-en.htm).

Submitted by:  Pam de Rocquigny, Provincial Cereal Crops Specialist, Manitoba Agriculture

Source: http://www.mmpp.com/mmpp.nsf/sar_varieties_2016.pdf

Respond
Have a follow-up question?

Manitoba Barley Acres & Top Varieties in 2016

IMG_0972

In 2016, there was approximately 352,000 acres of commercial barley seeded in Manitoba, as reported by producers for AgriInsurance purposes (acres do not include pedigree or organic production), down from 383,500 acres in 2015.

The variety CDC Austenson, at 21.8% of Manitoba’s commercial barley acreage, was the most popular variety grown in Manitoba in 2016.  It was the second most popular variety in 2015 (16.6%). CDC Austenson is a 2-row feed type that was registered in 2008. It was developed by the Crop Development Centre at the University of Saskatchewan, with SeCan being the distributor.

CONLON, a 2-row feed type, is in second spot in 2016 at 19.5%; CONLON had been the most popular variety based on market share since 2004 in Manitoba and was grown on 24.4% of commercial barley acres in 2015. In third spot is Celebration at 9.3%, a 6-row malting variety. Fourth and fifth place are AAC Synergy at 9.1% and AC Metcalfe (2 row-malting) at 7.3%.  AAC Synergy is a newer 2-row malting variety developed by Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada – Brandon Research & Development Centre and distributed by Syngenta Seeds Canada Ltd. It is shorter-statured variety with good straw strength and good disease package. The top five varieties were grown on 67% of barley acres in Manitoba.

Rounding out the top ten are the varieties Newdale (2-row, malting), CDC Copeland (2-row, malting), Tradition (6-row, malting), Champion (2-row, feed), and Bentley (2-row, malting).  The top 10 varieties together were grown on 91.3% of barley acres in Manitoba. The remaining 8.7% of acres were seeded to 32 other barley varieties.

In 2016, acreage devoted to the feed/food, malting and hulless categories were 49.9%, 50.1% and 0.04%, respectively. By comparison, in 2015 52.5% of acres were grown to feed/food varieties, 47.3% to malting varieties, and 0.2% to hulless varieties.

When looking at the feed/food category in 2016, majority of acres were seeded to 2-row varieties (98.5%) compared to 6-row varieties (1.5%). This trend is consistent from 2015 where 97.1% of acres were grown to 2-row and 2.9% to 6-row varieties.

In the malting barley category in 2016, 66.5% of acres were seeded to 2-row varieties (59.8% in 2015) compared to 33.5% to 6-row varieties (40.2% in 2015).

Overall in Manitoba, 2-row barley varieties were grown on 82.4% of acres in 2016 (compared to 79.5% in 2015), with the remaining 17.6% grown to 6-row varieties (20.5% in 2015).

Submitted by:  Pam de Rocquigny, Provincial Cereal Crops Specialist, Manitoba Agriculture

Source: http://www.mmpp.com/mmpp.nsf/sar_varieties_2016.pdf

Respond
Have a follow-up question?

Acreage Seeded to the Various Wheat Classes in Manitoba – 2016

In 2016, there was approximately 2.8 million acres of wheat seeded in Manitoba, as reported by producers for AgriInsurance purposes (pedigree and organic production not included), down from 3.0 million acres in 2015.

The Canada Western Red Spring (CWRS) class remains the largest class of wheat grown in Manitoba.  In 2016, 79.3% of provincial acreage devoted to wheat production is sown to CWRS varieties.  This is down slightly from 86.0% in 2015.

The new wheat class Canada Northern Hard Red (CNHR) is the second largest class of wheat in Manitoba at 12.1% of the total wheat acreage. The class currently includes three varieties: Faller, Prosper and Elgin ND. This class of wheat grew as 7.8% of the total wheat acres were grown to those three varieties in 2015.

Winter wheat, which includes varieties belonging to the Canada Western Red Winter (CWRW) class, and the new Canada Western Special Purpose (CWSP) class, is the third largest category at 4.9% of total wheat acres, down from 5.3% in 2015.  Keep in mind for winter wheat, the number of acres represents what was seeded in the previous fall and does not reflect the number of acres remaining after winter injury or winterkill.

Combined, CWRS, CNHR and winter wheat account for 96.3% of total wheat acres in Manitoba in 2016 (compared to 96.1% in 2015).

The remaining 3.7% of wheat acres in 2016 are comprised of the smaller classes of wheat, including Canada Western Hard White Spring (CWHWS), Canada Western Amber Durum (CWAD), Canada Western Special Purpose (CWSP – spring varieties only), Canada Western Soft White Spring (CWSWS), Canada Prairie Spring Red (CPSR) and unregistered spring wheat varieties. There was a substantial increase in CPSR acres – approximately 59,400 acres in 2016 compared to 3900 acres in 2015. However, the other smaller classes of wheat saw decreases in 2016 acreage from 2015.

Submitted by:  Pam de Rocquigny, Provincial Cereal Crops Specialist, Manitoba Agriculture

Source: http://www.mmpp.com/mmpp.nsf/sar_varieties_2016.pdf

Respond
Have a follow-up question?

Top Red Spring Wheat Varieties in Manitoba – 2016

IMG_20160711_105411

AAC Brandon at Portage la Prairie, MB (2016). Photo by P. de Rocquigny

In 2016, there was approximately 2.2 million acres of commercial red spring wheat seeded in Manitoba, as reported by producers for AgriInsurance purposes (acres do not include pedigree or organic production).

The variety AAC Brandon, at 37.9% of Manitoba’s commercial red spring wheat acreage, was the most popular variety grown in Manitoba in 2016.  It was the fourth most popular variety in 2015 (10.4%).  AAC Brandon was first released commercially in 2015. AAC Brandon is an awned semi-dwarf variety with strong straw, good yield potential, resistant (R) to both stem and leaf rust, and has a moderately resistant (MR) rating to fusarium head blight and stripe rust.  It was developed by AAFC – Swift Current and is distributed by SeCan.

Cardale remains in second spot at 17.1% of acres, compared to 2015 where it was grown on 20.7% of acres. In third spot is Carberry at 10.2%, and rounding out the top 5 include Glenn at 7.1% and Harvest at 5.8%.  Harvest has consistently placed in the top 5 of most popular CWRS varieties in Manitoba over the past few years, showing its popularity with producers.  However, Harvest is one of the 25 CWRS varieties being reclassified to the Canada Northern Hard Red (CHHR) class by the Canadian Grain Commission effective August 1, 2018.

Rounding out the top ten are the varieties AAC Elie, CDC Plentiful, AC Domain, Muchmore, and CDC Stanley.  The top 10 varieties together were grown on 91.8% of red spring wheat acres in Manitoba. The remaining 8.2% of acres were seeded to 43 other red spring wheat varieties, many of those newer varieties gaining in acres.

Other popular varieties, based on total acres grown, include Faller and Prosper, which belong to the new Canadian Northern Hard Red (CNHR) class. AAC Penhold, a CPSR variety, is also gaining market share in Manitoba.

Submitted by:  Pam de Rocquigny, Provincial Cereal Crops Specialist, Manitoba Agriculture

Source: http://www.mmpp.com/mmpp.nsf/sar_varieties_2016.pdf

Respond
Have a follow-up question?
,

Acreage Seeded to the Various Wheat Classes in Manitoba – 2015

In 2015, there was approximately 3.0 million acres of wheat seeded in Manitoba, as reported by producers for AgriInsurance purposes (pedigree and organic production not included), up from 2.86 million acres in 2014.

The Canada Western Red Spring (CWRS) class remains the largest class of wheat grown in Manitoba.  In 2015, 83% of provincial acreage devoted to wheat production is sown to CWRS varieties.  This is up slightly from 2014 where 76% of wheat acres were seeded to CWRS wheat varieties.

Figure 1: Percent of Wheat Acres by Class/Category in Manitoba (2015)

Picture1

Source:  MASC 2015 Market Share Report for wheat production; does not include pedigreed & organic production.

 

The new interim wheat class, called Canada Western Interim Wheat (CWIW), is the second largest category of wheat in Manitoba at 7.8% of the total wheat acreage. The class includes three varieties: Faller, Prosper and Elgin ND.

Winter wheat, which includes varieties belonging to the Canada Western Red Winter (CWRW) and Canada Western General Purpose (CWGP) classes, is the third largest at 5.3% of total wheat acres, down from 13.6% in 2014.  Keep in mind for winter wheat, the number of acres represents what was seeded in the fall of 2013 & 2014 and does not reflect the number of acres remaining after winter injury or winterkill resulted in termination of impacted acres.

Combined, CWRS, CWIW and winter wheat account for 96.2% of total wheat acres in Manitoba in 2015, which is very similar to 2014 (95%).

The remaining 3.8% of wheat acres in 2015 are comprised of the smaller classes of wheat, including Canada Western Hard White Spring (CWHWS), Canada Western Amber Durum (CWAD), CWGP (spring varieties only), Canada Western Soft White Spring (CWSWS), Canada Prairie Spring Red (CPSR) and unregistered spring wheat varieties.

Submitted by:  Pam de Rocquigny, Provincial Cereal Crops Specialist, MAFRD

Respond
Have a follow-up question?

2015 Variety Market Share Information Report Available!

Manitoba Agricultural Services Corporation (MASC) has released their 2015 Variety Market Share Information report.  The complete report is available on the Manitoba Management Plus Program (MMPP), under the Regional Analysis Tools section, at http://www.mmpp.com/mmpp.nsf/mmpp_index.html.

A summary of the red spring wheat and winter wheat is provided:

Red Spring Wheat: In 2015, there was approximately 2.5 million acres of commercial red spring wheat seeded in Manitoba, as reported by producers for AgriInsurance purposes (acres do not include pedigree or organic production).

The variety Carberry, at 21.8% of Manitoba’s commercial red spring wheat acreage, was the most popular variety grown in Manitoba in 2015.  It was also the most popular variety in 2014 (35.1%).  Carberry was first released to producers in 2012.

Cardale is in the second spot in 2015 at 20.7%, moving up two spots from 2014 (9.1%). In third spot is Harvest at 13.4%. Harvest has consistently placed in the top 5 of most popular CWRS varieties in Manitoba over the past few years, showing its popularity with producers.  However, Harvest is one of the 25 CWRS varieties being reclassified by the Canadian Grain Commission August 1, 2017.

Rounding out the top 5 include AAC Brandon at 10.4% and Glenn at 9.9%.  AAC Brandon is new variety, available to producers for the first time for commercial production in 2015.  AAC Brandon is an awned semi-dwarf variety with strong straw, good yield potential, resistant (R) to both stem and leaf rust, and has a moderately resistant (MR) rating to fusarium head blight and stripe rust.  It was developed by AAFC – Swift Current and is distributed by SeCan.  The top five varieties were grown on 76.2% of red spring wheat acres in Manitoba.

Rounding out the top ten are the varieties CDC Plentiful, WR859 CL, AC Domain, CDC Stanley and Muchmore.  The top 10 varieties together were grown on 88.2% of red spring wheat acres in Manitoba. The remaining 11.8% of acres were seeded to 44 other red spring wheat varieties, many of those newer varieties gaining in acres.

Winter Wheat: There was approximately 159,000 acres of commercial winter wheat seeded in the fall of 2014 in Manitoba, as reported by producers for AgriInsurance purposes (acres do not include pedigree or organic production).

The variety Emerson, at 54.2% of Manitoba’s commercial winter wheat acreage, was the most popular variety grown in Manitoba in 2015.  Emerson was first released to producers in the fall of 2014 and is the first winter wheat variety with a Resistant (R) rating to fusarium head blight.

CDC Falcon is in the second spot in 2015 at 20.7%, staying in the same position as 2014 (30.5%). In third spot is Flourish at 9.8%; in 2014 Flourish was the variety grown on the most acres in Manitoba (55.4%).

Rounding out the top 5 include CDC Buteo at 8.4% and Peregrine at 1.5%.  The top five varieties were grown on 94.6% of winter wheat acres in Manitoba. The remaining 5.4% of acres were seeded to 8 other winter wheat varieties.

Submitted by:  Pam de Rocquigny, Provincial Cereal Crops Specialist, MAFRD

Respond
Have a follow-up question?

A History of the Recommendations Made by the PRCWRT

The Prairie Recommending Committee for Wheat, Rye and Triticale (PRCWRT) evaluates candidate cultivars (varieties) of wheat, rye and triticale and, upon the request of the owner or designate, makes recommendations to the Variety Registration Office, Canadian Food Inspection Agency regarding the suitability of the candidate for registration.

The attached file shows a history of their recommendations made from 1959 to March 4, 2014:   PRCWRT Recommendations 1959-PresentNote: some varieties recommended have been registered by CFIA since the file was last updated.

As you look through the list, you’ll see the number of varieties that were supported by the PRCWRT have increased over the years.  You will also note that even though a variety was supported by the PRCWRT, not all lines were registered (see comments column).

For more information on the PRCWRT, visit their website at http://www.pgdc.ca/committees_wrt.html

Submitted by: Pam de Rocquigny, Provincial Cereal Crops Specialist

Respond
Have a follow-up question?

Have you tried Seed Interactive??

Seed Interactive is a collaborative effort between the Manitoba Seed Growers’ Association, Farm Business Communications, and Manitoba Agriculture, Food & Rural Development and can be accessed by clicking on: http://www.seedinteractive.ca/

Using the information found in SEED MANITOBA 2015, along with information from past yearly issues of the SEED MANITOBA guide, Seed Interactive allows you to tailor your own output, taking into consideration your agronomic and management requirements.

  • Use the variety characteristic report to familiarize yourself with overall yield performance, variety disease resistance and general agronomic attributes.
  • Use the Yield Comparison Report to select your own check variety to compare directly to a new or commonly grown variety at locations of your choice.
  • Or use the Mulit-Year Yield Summary Report to focus on a group of varieties tested together within a specific time span at the locations of your choice.

Crop types currently on Seed Interactive include spring wheat, winter wheat, barley, oats, flax, peas, soybeans and sunflowers (oil & confectionary).

I invite you to check it out.  I have often used this tool while discussing soybean varieties with growers.  I find being able to quickly compare specific varieties to each other in one location over multiple years with this online tool is a lot easier than trying to use the hard copy.

Submitted by:  Terry Buss, Farm Production Advisor – Crops, MAFRD

Respond
Have a follow-up question?

Report available on insured acres of cereal varieties – CGC

WINNIPEG, Oct. 27, 2014 /CNW/ – The “Cereal Varieties – 2014 Insured Commercial Acres” report is now available on the Canadian Grain Commission’s web site. The report covers Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia and shows the number of insured acres of seeded varieties of wheat, durum, barley, oats, rye and triticale. The report shows total acres of each cereal crop by province. Information for wheat is further broken down by class.

The report is based on information from Manitoba Management Plus Program, Saskatchewan Crop Insurance, Alberta Agricultural Financial Services Corp. and BC Crop Insurance.

Quick facts

  • The Canadian Grain Commission’s report is based on acres insured through provincial crop insurance in the western provinces and does not reflect total acres seeded.
  • In the report, cereal varieties are classified based on the Canadian Grain Commission’s lists of designated varieties.

Associated links

Canadian Grain Commission

The Canadian Grain Commission is the federal agency responsible for establishing and maintaining Canada’s grain quality standards. Its programs result in shipments of grain that consistently meet contract specifications for quality, safety and quantity. The Canadian Grain Commission regulates the grain industry to protect producers’ rights and ensure the integrity of grain transactions.

SOURCE Canadian Grain Commission; Government of Canada

Respond
Have a follow-up question?

Top Red Spring Wheat Varieties in Manitoba – 2014

In 2014, there was approximately 2.17 million acres of commercial red spring wheat seeded in Manitoba, as reported by producers for AgriInsurance purposes (acres do not include pedigree or organic production).

The variety Carberry, at 35.1% of Manitoba’s commercial red spring wheat acreage, was the most popular variety grown in Manitoba in 2014.  It was also the most popular variety in 2012.  Carberry was first released to producers in 2012, when it held the number four spot at 12.3% of Manitoba red spring wheat acreage.

Harvest held the second spot in 2014 at 14.9%, moving up one spot from 2013.  Harvest has consistently placed in the top 5 of most popular CWRS varieties in Manitoba over the past few years, showing its popularity with producers.  Rounding out the top 5 are Glenn at 12.1%, Cardale at 9.1%, and WR859 CL at 4.3%.  Cardale is new variety, available to producers for the first time for commercial production in 2014.  Cardale is an awned semi-dwarf variety with strong straw, good yield potential, resistant (R) to both stem and leaf rust, and has a moderately resistant (MR) rating to fusarium head blight.  It was developed by AAFC – CRC and is distributed by Seed Depot.  The top five varieties were grown on 75.5% of red spring wheat acres in Manitoba.

Rounding out the top ten are the varieties CDC Stanley, AC Domain, Muchmore, KANE and CDC Go.  The top 10 varieties together were grown on 90% of red spring wheat acres in Manitoba. The remaining 10% of acres were seeded to 49 other red spring wheat varieties, many of those newer varieties gaining in acres.

See attached figure illustrating the top red spring wheat varieties grown in Manitoba in 2014:

Top 10 CWRS Varieties Grown in Manitoba – 2014

Submitted by:  Pam de Rocquigny, MAFRD Cereal Crops Specialist

Respond
Have a follow-up question?