2014 Variety Market Share Report Now Available!!

MASC has released it’s 2014 Variety Market Share Information Report.  The 2014 report is compiled from the MASC database as of August 7th.

It is available for download from MASC’s Manitoba Management Plus Program (MMPP) Web site: http://www.mmpp.com/mmpp.nsf/mmpp_index.html.

More information on the Manitoba Management Plus Program:

Producers insured by MASC AgriInsurance are required to supply their yield and management information. MASC uses this data to refine its existing programs and develop new programming, but the data is also valuable to farmers.

The Manitoba Management Plus Program (MMPP) provides producers with over 20 years of meaningful, anonymized production and management data. Producers use this information for benchmarking, marketing assessment and improved farm management decision making.  Data is available in a number of publications and tools:

  • MMPP Publications:  Yield Manitoba is published annually in February as a joint publication between the Manitoba Co-operator and MASC.
  • Regional Analysis Tools:  The MMPP regional analysis tools enable farmers, researchers and agribusiness to access and pull out useful, unbiased and real world regional yield and management information from these historic records.
  • Management Information:  MMPP also researches agricultural methods such as crop rotations and seeding dates and their effects on production.
  • Map Tools:  MMPP has produced hundreds of thematic maps over the years that describe the ‘ground truth’ of agriculture in Manitoba.

Submitted by:  Pam de Rocquigny, Provincial Cereal Crops Specialist

Respond
Have a follow-up question?

Top Red Spring Wheat Varieties in Manitoba – 2013

In 2013, there was approximately 2.6 million acres of commercial red spring wheat seeded in Manitoba, as reported by producers for AgriInsurance purposes.

The variety Carberry, at 31.7% of Manitoba’s commercial red spring wheat acreage, was the most popular variety grown in Manitoba in 2013.  Carberry was first released to producers in 2012, when it held the number four spot at 12.3% of Manitoba red spring wheat acreage.  Carberry is a semi-dwarf variety with strong straw, good yield potential and has a moderately resistant (MR) rating to fusarium head blight.  It was developed by AAFC – SPARC and is distributed by SeCan.

Glenn again held the second spot in 2013 at 16.7%, as it did in 2012.  Harvest came in at third place (13.7%), dropping from the number one spot it held in 2012.  Rounding out the top 5 are KANE at 6.5% and WR859 CL at 5.1%.  The top five varieties of Carberry, Glenn, Harvest, KANE and WR859 CL were grown on 74% of red spring wheat acres in Manitoba. 

Rounding out the top ten are the varieties CDC Stanley, AC Domain, CDC Utmost VB, CDC Go and AC Barrie .  The older varieties of AC Domain and AC Barrie continue to see a decline in acres.  The newer varieties of CDC Stanley and CDC Utmost VB saw an increase in acres and are varieties in the top ten for the first time in 2013.  The top 10 varieties together were grown on 89% of red spring wheat acres in Manitoba. The remaining 11% of acres were seeded to 43 other red spring wheat varieties, many of those newer varieties gaining in acres in Manitoba.

See attached figure illustrating the top red spring wheat varieties grown in Manitoba in 2013:  Top Red Spring Wheat Varieties Grown in Manitoba – 2013

Submitted by:  Pam de Rocquigny, MAFRI Cereal Crops Specialist

Respond
Have a follow-up question?