Top Red Spring Wheat Varieties in Manitoba – 2016


AAC Brandon at Portage la Prairie, MB (2016). Photo by P. de Rocquigny

In 2016, there was approximately 2.2 million acres of commercial red spring wheat seeded in Manitoba, as reported by producers for AgriInsurance purposes (acres do not include pedigree or organic production).

The variety AAC Brandon, at 37.9% of Manitoba’s commercial red spring wheat acreage, was the most popular variety grown in Manitoba in 2016.  It was the fourth most popular variety in 2015 (10.4%).  AAC Brandon was first released commercially in 2015. AAC Brandon is an awned semi-dwarf variety with strong straw, good yield potential, resistant (R) to both stem and leaf rust, and has a moderately resistant (MR) rating to fusarium head blight and stripe rust.  It was developed by AAFC – Swift Current and is distributed by SeCan.

Cardale remains in second spot at 17.1% of acres, compared to 2015 where it was grown on 20.7% of acres. In third spot is Carberry at 10.2%, and rounding out the top 5 include Glenn at 7.1% and Harvest at 5.8%.  Harvest has consistently placed in the top 5 of most popular CWRS varieties in Manitoba over the past few years, showing its popularity with producers.  However, Harvest is one of the 25 CWRS varieties being reclassified to the Canada Northern Hard Red (CHHR) class by the Canadian Grain Commission effective August 1, 2018.

Rounding out the top ten are the varieties AAC Elie, CDC Plentiful, AC Domain, Muchmore, and CDC Stanley.  The top 10 varieties together were grown on 91.8% of red spring wheat acres in Manitoba. The remaining 8.2% of acres were seeded to 43 other red spring wheat varieties, many of those newer varieties gaining in acres.

Other popular varieties, based on total acres grown, include Faller and Prosper, which belong to the new Canadian Northern Hard Red (CNHR) class. AAC Penhold, a CPSR variety, is also gaining market share in Manitoba.

Submitted by:  Pam de Rocquigny, Provincial Cereal Crops Specialist, Manitoba Agriculture


Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.